We are proud to serve the public by fulfilling our many responsibilities as the county’s internal auditor and controller. We have technology responsibilities and resources, which enable us to develop and maintain many of the county’s core financial systems. Our organization relies on more than 500 employees, and we are pleased to report some of last year’s noteworthy accomplishments.
• Discouraged county fraud by overseeing the completion of more than 1,200 investigations of alleged misconduct by county employees and contractors.
• Completed 50 internal audits that improved county’s internal control, identified misuse of public funds, and curtailed wasteful spending.
• Provided contract monitoring training for over 350 county staff and contractors and implemented the Countywide Contract Monitoring Certification Program that includes a comprehensive curriculum covering seven topics with thirty-two hours of classroom instruction.
• Received the 33rd consecutive Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting from the Government Finance Officers Association.
• Represented the county during the Board of Equalization’s Sales and Use Tax audits, saving the County approximately $6.7 million by scrutinizing the estimated tax liability.
• Visited 64 contracted group homes to increase the awareness of the Children’s Ombudsman Program and to provide an independent resource for the children within the Los Angeles County Placement system.
• Distributed over $10 billion of property taxes to: the County, 88 cities in the county, approximately 100 school districts, and various special districts and other public agencies.
We continue to optimize our business operations through creative information technology solutions. For example, the county’s Quality and Productivity Commission bestowed its top award (Golden Eagle) in 2014 for the Mileage Authorization and Reimbursement System (MARS).
For more information, please go to the Los Angeles County Auditor-Controller website, at auditor.lacounty.gov.